Black Walnut Cake
- 1 Cup Shortening (1/2 Butter 1/2 Vegetable Shortening)
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 Level Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Black Walnuts
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Shortening (part butter)
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Milk
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
Cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Add dry ingredients, walnuts, milk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until well mixed and creamy, about 5 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes. Let cool. Mix frosting ingredients. Spread frosting over cake.
Best if made in 2 round cake pans, layer cake after both are frosted. Seal middle seam with frosting.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!