Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup sifted cake-and-pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites (12 to 14) at room temperature
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Sift together flour, salt and 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the sugar; set aside. In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar to soft peaks. Very gradually add remaining 3/4 cup (175 mL) sugar, beating constantly until mixture holds stiff, glossy peaks. Beat in vanilla and almond extract. Sift flour mixture, one-quarter at a time, over egg whites; fold in each addition gently but thoroughly.
Turn batter into 10-inch (25 cm) tube pan (capacity 16 cups/4 L). Run knife through batter to eliminate any air pockets; gently smooth the surface. Bake in 350F (180C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
Turn pan upside down (if it doesn't have feet, hang it over a bottle or inverted funnel); let cake cool completely. When cool, loosen cake by running knife around inside edges and tube; remove cake from pan (if using loose-bottomed pan, run knife between cake and base to remove).
Chocolate Angel Cake varation: Reduce flour to 3/4 cup (175 mL) and add 1/4 cup (50 mL) sifted cocoa; sift with other dry ingredients.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!