- 3 cups all purpose flour plus flour for rolling dough
- 1 cup shortening
- Cold water as needed
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 1 egg beaten
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
In a large bowl add 3 cups white flour.
Add 1 cup vegetable shortening or lard and "cut" it into the flour with a pastry cutter. Keep mixing in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add the cold water a little at a time and stir until dough is formed.
Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each half into a rectangle about 5 or 6 inches wide.
Divide sausage meat in half, roll in flour to make a long sausage the same length as the dough. Place sausage meat in the middle of the dough.
With a pastry brush, coat long edge of the pastry with beaten egg and fold the pastry over top the the sausage meat to form a long roll. The egg mixture will help the pastry stick.
Cut each sausage roll into smaller sections. Using the tines of a fork, press the seam down to make sure it stays together. Arrange the sausage rolls on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
Using a knife, cut the top of each sausage roll twice (as shown in the photo), brush with the egg mixture and spinkle a little salt on top.
Note: Brushing the pastry with the egg mixture gives it a lovely golden brown colour when baked.
Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the sausage meat is cooked.
If you don't have any eggs to spare, you can substitute with milk. Sausage rolls are so easy to make and your pastry turns out flaky every time because of the fat in the sausage meat.
You'll also love
- Savories- Mums Favorite Pie 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Filo Pastry Parcels with Scallops 4/5 (35 Votes)
- Easily Adaptable Banana Bread... 4/5 (68 Votes)
- White girl's salsa 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Broccoli Bacon Cheese Salad 4/5 (29 Votes)
- Stromboli 4/5 (19 Votes)
- Jambalaya bread 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Stamppot Hutspot 3.9/5 (85 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.