Rich Dundee Cake
Rich Dundee Cake. Discover our recipe.
- 8 oz flour
- pinch of salt
- 8 oz butter
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz sugar
- 6 oz mixed peel
- 12 oz currants
- 12 oz sultanas
- 2 oz finely chopped almonds
- 18 blanched almon halves
- 4 oz glace cherries
- grated rind of 1/2 lemon
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 180mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Sift together the flour and salt. Cream the butter and sugar, then beat in 3 eggs, one at a time. Fold in flour, fruit, chopped peel, cherries, lemon rind, chopped almonds and the last egg.
Spoon mixture into a greased and lined 8 inch round tin. Place almond halves in concentric circles on top of the cake. Bake in slow oven at 300 degrees F for about 3 1/2 hours, until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch.
A traditional nineteenth-century Scottish fruit cake with a rich flavour, said to have been invented for Mary Queen of Scots because she didn't like cherries in her cakes.
You'll also love
- Rice Krispie Squares 4/5 (22 Votes)
- French Chocolate Cobblestones 4.2/5 (34 Votes)
- Sea salt chocolate gourmandize 4/5 (25 Votes)
- Easy German Chocolate Layer Cake 4.1/5 (11 Votes)
- Italian Florentine Cookies 4.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Giggy's German Fruit Cake 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Christmas cake Gramma Brett 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Rich Dundee Cake 2.8/5 (10 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!