What Are Mayak Eggs? The Korean Food Trend Taking Over The Internet
After taking over TikTok, this marinated egg recipe is tantalizing tastebuds all over the globe.
Mayak Eggs: The new recipe that'll drive you crazy
Mayak eggs (also known as mayak gyeran) is a popular Korean dish, consisting of hard-cooked eggs topped with a sauce made from Korean chili paste (called gochujang), soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, and sugar. The sauce is a mix of salt and spice, is surprisingly super satisfying! Sesame seeds are often sprinkled on top of the eggs, and they really do provide extra yum.
In Korean, the word 'mayak' means 'illicit', which makes sense, as these eggs will certainly leave you wanting more! They're the perfect snack, appetizer, or side dish, and can be found in most Korean restaurants, but are also super easy to make at home.
Once you know how to prepare them, we guarantee you'll always want to have a portion of them in the fridge to snack on. High in protein, they're perfect to grab when you're on the go or or in need of a pick-me-up. They're also ideal in a salad, in ramen, or with tapas. Their name really does do them justice - we promise!
Ingredients for Mayak Eggs
Now let's get down to business! Here's what you'll need to make Mayak Eggs at home ...
For 3 people:
- 6 medium eggs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Korean chili paste
- 1 green chili (e.g. serrano)
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 green onion
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Cook the eggs in boiling water for 6 min. Remove from the heat, and put them into a bowl of cold water.
While they're cooling, prepare the marinade. Finely chop the garlic and onion, and put into a bowl. Add the chili, soy sauce, water, honey and sesame seeds. Mix well.
- Peel the hard-cooked eggs, and dip them into the mixture before putting them into an airtight container. Once all the eggs have been dipped and placed into the container, pour the remaining sauce over the eggs. Place the lid on the container, and store them in the fridge for 12 hours.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.