Gnocchi recipes - 5 recipes
Gnocchi, contrary to popular belief, are not actually pasta! Gnocchi are basically mashed potatoes mixed with flour and then rolled and cut into fluffy little potato pillows, and then boiled. A staple of Italian cuisine, gnocchi are served and eaten just like pasta; you can simply butter them and add freshly grated Parmesan, or bathe them in a delicious, rich pasta sauce. From my own gnocchi making attempts, the best advice I can give you is to not overcook them; the moment they start floating to the top of a pot of boiling water is the moment that they need to come out, and not one second later! Homemade gnocchi are a great way to get initiated into making fresh pasta at home, as they're relatively easier to make and are less time consuming than other types of pasta.
Chef Tips and Tricks
Check out our delicious spin on the classic Brazilian cake, with Fererro Rochers and Kit-Kat!
For the batter:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 cup of of natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting:
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 3 cans of condensed milk
- 2 and 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a pan, melt together the condensed milk, the chocolates in pieces and the butter. Slowly fold in the thickened cream. Mix, without stopping, until it is smooth and thick.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar. Add the oil and mix again.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and the bicarbonate soda. Pour in the egg mixture, mix together, then add the yogurt.
Grease and sprinkle cocoa powder inside two springform pans. Divide the batter mixture between them, then bake at 360°F for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, and allow to cool.
- Spread some of the frosting between the layers of the cake, and generously spread around the outside.
- Decorate the cake with Kit Kats, extra frosting and Fererro Rochers, in your style!
For more food buzz and delightful recipes, follow us on Facebook!
Top rated Gnocchi recipes
Boil the potatoes. Mash them and mix with flour until dough like consistency
- 1 potato per person
- About 1 cup flour
- Boiling water
Gnocchi with chicken and butternut squash cream
By Sophie21 , blog Le cahier gourmand de Sophie
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil, brown the onion and squash 5 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound butternut squash, diced
- 1 lb. chicken breast, diced
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 6 tablespoons cream
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan
Gnocchi Spinach Gratin
Preheat oven to 350° Cook the spinach in the water Put in a baking dish: gnocchi, then cover with sour cre...
- 16 oz gnocchi
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- 4 teaspoon of pesto
- 1 16 oz container sour cream
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Gnocchi
By kristascookin, A Handful of Everything
Quick cooking pasta dish full of fresh summer flavors and vegetables
- 1 lb pkg Gnocchi
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
By european cutie, European Cutie
Recipe for homemade Italian gnocchi!
- 1 pound Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup flour, may need more
- 3 Tablespoons of 1 whisked egg
- salt & pepper