Tofu steaks with butter soy sauce
By Amelie a-vos-baguettes , blog A vos baguettes
- 1 block of tofu (that's about 10 oz)
- 1 package enokidake (3-4 oz) (Japanese long white mushrooms) or button mushrooms will work as well
- 1 large tomato (or several small)
- a little butter to cook tofu steaks
- 1-1 1/2 tbsp butter for the sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce (proportionate with butter.)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Cut tofu into desired thickness to make "steaks".
Put them to "drain" on rack while you prepare the rest.
Cut the stem of enokidake if dirty. Cut into 2 if the mushrooms are really long, separate those that are still stuck together. If using button mushrooms, cut off the bottom of the stem, clean them quickly with a damp paper towel and cut into thin slices.
Cut the tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes) into cubes of about 1cm from the side.
Melt a little butter in a frying pan and add in your tofu steaks. Lightly brown over medium heat. When the first side is golden brown and slightly toasted, use 2 spatulas to carefully turn each tofu steak, being careful to keep them intact. Roast the other side of tofu in the same way. When the two sides are golden and warm, place them each on a plate.
Melt half the butter intended for the sauce in a skillet over medium heat being careful not to burn. Add the mushrooms and cook until they become a little soft. Then add the chopped tomatoes, stir and cook all over medium heat.
When cooked to your taste, add the second half of the butter and soy sauce. Mix, melt the butter and cook gently for 30 seconds. It will leave the butter and soy sauce time to marry their flavors. The sauce is ready!
Spread your mushroom, tomato, butter soy sauce mixture on the tofu steaks (and accompany all this with rice if you like). Bon appetit!
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.