Quick & Easy Apple Pie
This apple pie recipe keeps things simple and easy, with no need to pre-cook the filling, and it uses tapioca starch to thicken things up!
- 4 lbs apples (Granny Smith is an excellent choice)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Dash of nutmeg and cinnamon
- 3-4 tbsp butter
- divided into a few pieces
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Peel apples and chop up roughly.
Add apples to mixing bowl with remaining ingredients, except the butter, and stir to combine.
Pour the apple filling into the prepared pie crust, and distribute the butter pieces on top.
Top with the second pie crust, and pinch the edges to seal the two together. Trim if necessary.
Beat the egg together with the tablespoon of water, and brush the egg wash over the whole crust.
Using a knife, make four vents in the center in a symmetrical fashion.
Bake for 15 Mins.
Lower the temperature to 350°F, and continue to bake for 45 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.