Rustic Pie with Beets, Apples and Plums
Unique Combination but Sweet, delicious. Recipe for homemade Rustic Pie with apples, beets and plums.
- Dough Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour-reserve few spoons for rolling
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp ice water
- more if needed
- 3 Plums
- 3 apples
- Juice from ½ Lemon
- 1½ Tbs. Sugar
- for apples and plums
- ½ tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Large Beet Root + ½ tsp. Sugar
- 3 Tbs. Apple Sauce
- ½ Cup Plain Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbs. Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbs. Sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Combine in a food processor flour, salt, and sugar; pulse for few seconds. Add butter and pulse several times, until mixture looks like crumbly Add cold iced water 1 Tbsp at a time, pulsing until dough just begins to clump together. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it's ready. If the dough doesn't hold together, add a little more water and pulse again. You must know that too much water will make the crust tough.
Knead the dough just enough to form one disks. You will be able to see bits of butter in the dough. Sprinkle a little flour around the disks. Wrap the dough disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour, but it can last for 2 days.
Remove the dough disk from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes in order to soften just enough to make rolling out a bit easier. Roll out with a rolling pin on a floured surface to a 14-inch circle and about 1/8 of an inch thick. As you roll out the dough, check if the dough is sticking to the surface below. You must add bit more flour under the dough to keep the dough from sticking. Lightly butter the pie dish and carefully place in a 9 in. pie dish. Gently press the pie dough down so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie plate. The dough needs to overlap.
Now it's ready for filling.
Wash the apples and plums, and slice into wages. Add sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and toss. Peel the beet root and cut into chunks; put it in a food processor or a blender and add apple sauce and sugar. Pulse until well blended.
2. Put the sliced apples and plums in the pie shell, and then add processed beets-spread evenly over the apples and plums.
3. Close the overlapping pie dough and just lightly push down to get to kind of glued to the pie filling. You will have an opening in the middle, it can be bigger or smaller depending how much you stretched your dough.
In a bowl put bread crumbs and mix in the cold unsalted butter and sugar. Try to mash it with the fork to combine all together. You will have lumps; just sprinkle those buttery and sugary lumps over the pie filling.
Melt about 1/2 tsp. of butter and brush over the pie dough that you closed, and then sprinkle just a bit of sugar; this will make pie crust crunchy and bit glossy too.
In preheated oven (375F) and in the middle of the baking rack place the pie. Bake for about 45 minutes and for the first 30 minutes keep the Aluminum Foil on top of the pie to prevent from burning fast.
After it's baked place the Aluminium foil on to get the crust just a bit softer and pie filling will get even more steamed and juicy.
Let it cool down under the foil for at least 15 minutes after baking before cutting and eating the pie.
You may use store bought pie crust/dough
Frozen or fresh peaches go well in this pie.
You'll also love
- Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake 4/5 (176 Votes)
- Cheesecake 4.3/5 (143 Votes)
- Crock Pot Homemade Applesauce 3.4/5 (211 Votes)
- Apple and breton biscuits tart... 3.1/5 (211 Votes)
- Natural Juice French Apple Pie 3.3/5 (191 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 4.7/5 (72 Votes)
- WHOLE WHEAT & FLAX BREAD for... 4/5 (114 Votes)
- Chicken and Beet Puree 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.