Favorite Caramel Apple Pie Cobbler
This apple recipe is usually found in your apple pie, but I've made it into a more varied, quicker, and harder to fail (no crust!) recipe with less sugar and butter than you might think. It hits the apple pie spot, but for those not so hot about crust, who prefer a warm, gooey cobbler, it's a lovely treat to serve up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- 1 red delicious apple
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 golden delicious apple
- 1 fuji apple
- 1/3 cup prepared orange juice
- 1/3 cup prepared apple juice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar plus 3 tablespoons, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- dash salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla plus 1/2 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 240mins
Cost Average budget
Core, peel & thinly slice the apples. Add to saucepan with orange juice and apple juice, and simmer five minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in 3/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Coat the apples with the mixture.
Add the raisins and cranberries and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour apple mixture into a buttered crockpot. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle 3 Tablespoons brown sugar over the apples.
Mix cake mix with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and applesauce. Sprinkle the batter over the apple mixture.
Cook on low for about 4 hours* or on high for approximately 2 hours. Dish up with some vanilla ice cream!
*Depending on your crock pot, check at or 3 hours and continue to check every 15 minutes after that to make sure the edges and apples do not burn or overcook. The cobbler will more brownie-like than cake-like.
You'll also love
- Adhirasam (A sweet snack) 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Custard 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Fall Fruit Salad 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Apple Jacked 4/5 (28 Votes)
- Pumpkin Soup 4/5 (18 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Tatin Cheesecake 3.8/5 (229 Votes)
- Rustic Pie with Beets, Apples and... 3.8/5 (219 Votes)
- Quick & Easy Apple Pie 4/5 (18 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.
Review this recipe