Southern Style Strawberry Coconut Cake
- 1 (18.5 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O
- 1 Tbsp. self-rising flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup fresh strawberries
- finely diced
- For the Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8 ounce) block cream cheese
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 (1 pound) boxes powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- pink food coloring
- strawberries for garnish
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To make the cake, combine the cake mix, Jell-O, flour and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Add the oil. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the water and strawberries and mix well.
5. Divide the batter evenly into two 8 or 9 inch round baking pans that have been greased and floured.
6. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean and the layers pull away from the sides of the pan.
7. Transfer the layers from the oven to wire racks. Let them cool, still in their pans, for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, run a knife around the inside edge of each pan, then unmold each layer onto the racks to cool completely.
To prepare the frosting:
1. In a bowl combine the cream cheese and butter. Beat until soft and pliable and no lumps remain.
2. Add one box of the powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Beat until incorporated.
3. Add the second box of sugar and mix until incorporated. If you would like a smoother consistency, and a splash of milk. If you would like a thicker consistency, and a bit more powdered sugar until the desired consistency is achieved.
4. Put the coconut in a small bowl and sprinkle with two or three drops of pink dye. Mix with hands to distribute the color and wash hands immediately.
5. Once the cake is frosted, decorate the top of the cake with the shredded coconut and strawberries.
You'll also love
- YUM!Food Porn Country Style Apple Pie 4.5/5 (1147 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (955 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge 4.2/5 (409 Votes)
- 3-Ingredient Coconut Balls 4.2/5 (339 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb with a Hint of... 4.1/5 (158 Votes)
- MsCarmens Chocolate Chip Pound Cake 4.6/5 (88 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Recipe for chocolate-covered... 4.4/5 (89 Votes)
- Petite Strawberry Tarts 3.5/5 (184 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!