Mrs. Cheney's Potato Rolls
- 1 large potato
- 5 cups flour
- 1 packet yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup scalded milk, cooled to room temp
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup lard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cook potato, peel and mash,
Crumble yeast into large bowl, add sugar, potato, milk, water, melted lard, and salt. Mix, then sift in flour,
Mix thoroughly with large spoon. (may not need all 5c flour)
Let stand in warm room until rises 2x size,
Place dough on floured board and knead well, adding flour as needed,
Roll to 3/4" thick and cut with biscuit cutter,
Place in greased pan, brush with melted butter, let rise to 2x size.
Bake at 450 degrees until done, (20-25 minutes)
You'll also love
- Simmered carrots in sweet/spicy... 2.6/5 (9 Votes)
- banana roll 2.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Dad's Potato Noodles 2.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Christmas Cherry Cookies 2.5/5 (11 Votes)
- World Famous Mashed Potatoes 2.6/5 (6 Votes)
- pizza dough 2.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Cincinnamon roll 2.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits 2.5/5 (4 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!