All Purpose Biscuits
Great dinner biscuits.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 scant tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp soda
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- pinch of salt
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Combine flour, cream of tartar, 1 tsp. soda, 3 tsp. sugar, 1/2 cup shortening.
Add milk to slightly beaten egg.
Make a well in flour mixture and add liquid.
Mix together with a fork to form a soft dough.
Pat on floured board to 3/4 inch thickness and cut with a round cutter.
Place on slightly greased baking sheet.
Bake at 375 until lightly browned for 20 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!