- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 4-6 medium white or yellow flesh potatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
- Optional: butter, milk or sour cream to add to the potatoes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Peel potatoes and cut into small pieces.
Peel carrots and slice thinly.
Chop onion & garlic into small pieces or use a food processor.
Cook ground beef in a deep frying pan breaking it up into small pieces. Drain off the fat when cooked. Next add the onion & garlic and continue cooking over low heat.
While the meat is cooking, cook the potatoes and carrots. I like to use a steamer pot for this. I boil the potatoes in the bottom pot and let the carrots steam on top of them, this also saves hydro costs.
Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch into the beef broth and add to the beef mixture. Add the pepper, worcestershire sauce & tabasco sauce. The mixture will thicken slightly.
When the vegetables are cooked, add the carrots to the meat mixture & stir. Pour the contents into an oven safe dish.
Mash the potatoes and add milk, butter or sour cream as desired. (I used up some leftover sour cream when I made mine.) Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat and pat down with a fork. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These Cheesy Cauliflower Pizza Cups are just what you need when snack o'clock rolls around!
- 1/2 cauliflower head
- 8 eggs for cauliflower mix
- 4-6 cups shredded cheese
- 6 slices salami
- 6 tbsp pizza Sauce
- Boil diced cauliflower in salted water until tender.
- Blend, then transfer to mixing bowl.
- Mix in 2 eggs, pepper and 2 cups of shredded cheese
- Share the cauliflower mixture out between 6 ramekins, forming little cups
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Bake for 25 min at 375°F
- Add a slice of salami, a tbsp of pizza sauce, and one raw egg to each ramekin
- Top with cheese and return to oven for 7 min at 375°F
- Serve, and enjoy!