Choreg (Armenian Easter Bread)
Armenian Easter Bread
- 4 c milk
- 4 c sugar
- 2 pkg yeast
- 16 eggs
- 1.5 c butter, melted
- 12 c flour, approx
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp mahleb
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Melt butter. Add milk, sugar, yeast, eggs. Then add dry ingredients til dough comes off hands easily. Knead well.
Let rise til double in size in a warm spot in your kitchen, covered and wrapped in towels.
Braid and place on cookie sheets lined with parchment, and let rise again for another hour, covered lightly with plastic.
Bake at 300 degrees on bottom rack til puffy, then on middle rack till lightly browned.
Before baking, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
Mahleb ground, can be purchased at any middle eastern store.
This is easily halved, and also easily frozen.
You'll also love
- Armenian Rice 4.7/5 (34 Votes)
- Sweet Bread Machine Challah 3.9/5 (136 Votes)
- Banana Bread with Maraschino... 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Pecan Fingers 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Easily Adaptable Banana Bread... 4/5 (68 Votes)
- Garlic bread toast 3.9/5 (170 Votes)
- Khoorabia (Armenian Butter Cookies) 3.9/5 (41 Votes)
- Tzatziki 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Review this recipe