Rhubarb Cream Cake
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) margarine, melted
- 1 Teaspoon (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup (375 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups (500ml) rhubarb, cut up
Mix sugar, nuts, butter, and cinnamon together until crumbly. Set aside.
Cream together shortening, sugar & egg. Sift together dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in rhubarb.
Turn into greased 9" (2 L) square pan. Sprinkle with crumbly topping. Bake 350 degrees (180 degrees C) for 40-50 mins.
Cut into squares, serve with whipped cream.
Thawed frozen rhubarb may be used, do not drain.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Rhubarb with a Hint of... 4.1/5 (158 Votes)
- Rhubarb Cheesecake Pie 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Rhubarb Cake 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Rhubard cake 4/5 (17 Votes)
- CAKE BATTER FUDGE QUCK VERSION 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Angel Strawberry Surprise 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Snickerdoodles 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sour Cream COffee Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!