- 1 Tbsp. yeast, dissolved in 1 ½ c. warm water
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 c. flour
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Mix and knead for 3 minutes; let rest 10 minutes. Melt cube of butter on cookie sheet. Roll dough on floured board; cut in strips (use lots of flour). Roll in butter and place back together in same rectangle shape on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt and generously with Parmesan cheese. Let rise about 10 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes.
This can be made early in the day, covered with foil and refrigerated until about an hour before dinner. Let come to room temperature and rise 10 minutes, then bake as directed.
You'll also love
- Traditional Trifle 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Dessert- Coconut & Sojee 4.1/5 (29 Votes)
- Colorful Pasta 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Homemade Cream Potatoes 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Creamy Three Cheese and Broccoli... 4.1/5 (35 Votes)
- Bruschetta 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Delicious Homemade Dinky Donuts 4/5 (115 Votes)
- My Chicken Ceasar Salad 4.1/5 (22 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These Spanish empanadas are little hot pockets of delicious!
- 2.25 Cups of flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 Tsp. of lard
- 1/5 Cup of warm water
- 5 Tsp. of olive oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 Tsp. of chili powder
- 1 Tsp. of cumin
- 2 Garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine the flour, beaten egg, lard, warm water, and olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- In a hot pan, pour a little olive oil and sautée the onions, until tender. Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook until beef is no longer pink, and the flavors have incorporated well.
- Roll out the empanada dough, and cut out circles with a ramekin.
- Cover a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper, and place the dough circles on top.
- Fill with meat mixture, fold in half and press with the edge of a fork. Brush with egg yolk to glaze.
- Cook at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven... and enjoy!