How To Make Easy, Natural, Great-Smelling Soap at Home
Forget industrially-produced, store-bought soaps with ingredients you can't pronounce. These homemade soaps are cheap, easy and all-natural!
The Basic recipe for homemade soap
The basic recipe for soap is pretty simple (people have been making this stuff for millennia!). Here's what you'll need:
- 20 oz Grass-fed Beef Tallow
- 17 oz Olive oil
- 15 oz Coconut Oil
- 20 oz Cold Water
- 7 oz Lye Crystals
- 1-2 oz Essential Oil of your choice
- Combine the tallow, olive, and coconut oil in a pot and heat to 100° F.
- In a separate pot, pour the lye crystals into the water (not the other way around!). Be careful not to touch or inhale: this mixture is caustic and will get very hot. Let cool to 100° F.
- Once the oil mixture and lye-water mixture are around 100° F, combine and mix with a hand blender until trace.
- Add the essential oils, and mix.
- Pour into mold and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove from mold, and allow to cure for 3-6 weeks to harden.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
How to make fast-food style mayonnaise in a pinch!