BAKED RICE CUSTARD
- 1/4 cup sugar (or to suit your taste)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup Minute Rice
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine sugar, salt, nutmeg & cinnamon in a large bowl.
Add eggs and blend thoroughly.
Gradually stir in milk, then add the vanilla, rice and raisins.
Pour into an 8 inch square pan or souffle dish and place in a pan of hot water.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and stir.
Return back to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until "set".
Remove from oven and from the pan of hot water. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled.
Sprinkle with cinnamon before serving. If serving chilled, top with whipped cream & cinnamon. (Thanks for the recipe Dorie.)
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
What happens when you layer rice pudding and dulce de leche in mason jars? Sweet, sweet magic!
- 1 Cup of rice
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 7 Cloves
- 4 Cups of milk
- 1 Cup of sweetened condensed milk
- Dulce de leche
- In a saucepan, combine the rice, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and milk, and simmer.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, stir, and simmer for a few more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a mason jar, layer the rice pudding and dulce de leche, and top with a sprinkling of powdered cinnamon.