Put Your Own Twist On These Homemade German Pretzels
Turn your backyard into a beer garden with these homemade authentic German pretzels. They're soft, salty, and easy to make — perfect for Oktoberfest!
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of butter (melted)
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp of baking soda
- Coarse sea salt
- Optional: pumpkin seeds, cheese, sesame, etc. for decorating
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yeast, milk, and honey for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and salt until dough forms. If the dough is too sticky, add a teaspoon of flour.
- Let the dough rest for 1 hour, allowing it to increase in size. Then press down the dough, lightly kneading, and let rest for another 30 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Take the dough out of the bowl and divide into equally sized balls (depending on how big your want your pretzels to be). Use your hands to roll the balls into long, sausage-like shapes.
- Place the dough on a clean surface. Fix it into a "U" shape. Then twist the ends down, intertwining at the middle, and press into bottom of the pretzel. For a demonstration on how to make the classic pretzel twist, feel free to watch this video.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- On the stove, bring 4 cups of water to boil. Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda right away. Once the solution stops boiling, dip the pretzels in for 30 seconds before placing them on the baking sheets.
- Sprinkle the pretzels with the coarse sea salt or other toppings.
- Place the pretzels in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until browned.
There you have it: authentic German soft pretzels! Serve these salty guys with delicious honey mustard or wash 'em down with a pint of beer.
Wanna get even twistier? Here are 50 creative pretzels recipes to get you started.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Check out our delicious spin on the classic Brazilian cake, with Fererro Rochers and Kit-Kat!
For the batter:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1 cup of of natural yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting:
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 3 cans of condensed milk
- 2 and 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a pan, melt together the condensed milk, the chocolates in pieces and the butter. Slowly fold in the thickened cream. Mix, without stopping, until it is smooth and thick.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and allow to cool for 1 hour.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs and sugar. Add the oil and mix again.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and the bicarbonate soda. Pour in the egg mixture, mix together, then add the yogurt.
Grease and sprinkle cocoa powder inside two springform pans. Divide the batter mixture between them, then bake at 360°F for approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the oven, and allow to cool.
- Spread some of the frosting between the layers of the cake, and generously spread around the outside.
- Decorate the cake with Kit Kats, extra frosting and Fererro Rochers, in your style!
For more food buzz and delightful recipes, follow us on Facebook!