Do You Know Your Salts?
Salt. An ingredient we put on almost everything... yet one we barely think twice about. There are actually many different types and ways to use them!
© Getty Images
Salt mines exist all over the world (the biggest is in Canada), but the most productive are in China and the US. The most common way your salt is extracted? Solution mining: a long process of dissolving salt under the earth until it can be pumped to the surface. Often iodine is added along with an anti-sticking substance, and this is the most fine-textured of the salts. This quality makes it ideal for recipes that require the salt to mix evenly or dissolve.
Suggestion: For home purposes, you can use table salt for baking a cake, brownies, breads, etc., or when you're making soups and vegetable purees, this is a good option.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.