Basmati rice - 2 recipes
Chef Tips and Tricks
VIDEO: Spanish Empanadas
These Spanish empanadas are little hot pockets of delicious!
- 2.25 Cups of flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 Tsp. of lard
- 1/5 Cup of warm water
- 5 Tsp. of olive oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 Tsp. of chili powder
- 1 Tsp. of cumin
- 2 Garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine the flour, beaten egg, lard, warm water, and olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- In a hot pan, pour a little olive oil and sautée the onions, until tender. Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook until beef is no longer pink, and the flavors have incorporated well.
- Roll out the empanada dough, and cut out circles with a ramekin.
- Cover a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper, and place the dough circles on top.
- Fill with meat mixture, fold in half and press with the edge of a fork. Brush with egg yolk to glaze.
- Cook at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven... and enjoy!
Top rated Basmati rice recipes
Combine the rice, 1 3/4 cups water, the salt, and butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain (white) basmati rice (recommended: Texmati)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh curly parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh scallions, white and green parts
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Mrs. Sharma's Rice and Peas
Heat oil in pot. Cook onions
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups peas, frozen
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup basmati rice (rinsed in room temperature water - let stand 1/2 hour first)
- 2 1/4 cups warm water