Mrs. Sharma's Rice and Peas
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cups peas
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup basmati rice (rinsed in room temperature water - let stand 1/2 hour first)
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Heat oil in pot. Cook onions. Add cumin seeds, and heat.
Add peas and salt. Cook off water from peas.
Add rice and water. Turn down low. Cook for 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Guinea fowl with pumpkin and cumin 3.2/5 (319 Votes)
- Creamy Zucchini and Cumin Puree 4.2/5 (20 Votes)
- Basmati Rice 4/5 (17 Votes)
- Broccoli Chick'n Thai Curry 2.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Vegetarian Breakfast Sandwich 2.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Tortellini Salad 2.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Savoury Soup Muffins 2.7/5 (6 Votes)
- PotatoCornSpinach Gravy 2.7/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!