The Best Chicken and Dumpling Soup
Also works really well with turkey, like leftover from Thanksgiving.
- 1-2 lbs of chicken (whatever you have on hand is fine)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1-2 tbsp onion powder, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth (you can add more if you like your soup less thick)
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tsp shortening
- 1 cup frozen peas, or mixed frozen veggies
- 2 tbsp parsley
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and then brown in a large pot with the onion powder, salt, and pepper. If you are using leftover chicken just skip this step and add the shredded chicken with the spices. Take the chicken out once it is no longer pink, and then add the chopped fresh veggies. Cook 5 to 7 minutes. Then add your broth, rosemary, and a cup or two of water to taste. Heat to simmering, then add the chicken back to the pot.
Meanwhile, mix the flour, baking soda, milk, shortening, and a pinch of salt together in a separate bowl. Once dough forms, shape into teaspoon sized balls. Drop into the soup 10 minutes before you are ready to serve it.
You'll also love
- Southern Bars 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Chicken Jalfrezi 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Hamburger Soup 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Congenga- My Comfort Food 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Mrs. Sharma's Rice and Peas 2.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Sausage Gravy 2.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup 2.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Grilled pork tenderloin with... 2.9/5 (9 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.