Soupe au Pistou
- 1 ham hock
- 1 piece of rind (optional)
- 12-16 cups of water
- 1/2 lb fresh white beans
- 1/3 lb of red beans
- 1/3 lb green beans
- 4 medium potatoes
- 3 zucchini
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/4 lb chopped spaghetti or macaroni
- salt and pepper
- For the pistou:
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- scant half cup olive oil
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Edam (if you cannot find edam you can substitute gouda)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 150mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Put the ham hock and rind in large pot. Top with cold water and salt. Bring to a boil, then skim fat off top.
Boil for 1.5 hours. Hull and shell beans. Wash them. Peel and wash the potatoes and zucchini. Drop the tomatoes into a pot of boiling water about 30 seconds. Remove the skin, remove seeds and chop coarsely. Add all beans, potatoes, whole zucchinis, tomatoes and pasta in the pot. Continue cooking on low boil for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Reserve.
PISTOU: Peel the garlic cloves. Wash the basil leaves. Place on paper towels to drain. Peel, seed and finely chop the tomatoes. Place garlic, basil leaves and salt in a mortar and mash with a pestle. Add the chopped tomatoes, olive oil, pepper and grated cheese. The mixture must be thick. Transfer this mixture into a large bowl and reserve.
When the potatoes and zucchini are cooked, remove from pot and mash with a fork. Also remove the ham hock and cut into small pieces. Put everything into the pot, stir and adjust seasoning if necessary.
You'll also love
- Autumn Salad 4.7/5 (26 Votes)
- Leftover Baked Spaghetti 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Granny's Texas Baked Beans 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Zucchini and Feta casserole 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Christmas Spiced Zucchini Jam 4.1/5 (38 Votes)
- Artichoke Chicken Pasta 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Red Pepper Chili with Beans 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Shrimp à l'orange 1.8/5 (180 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French classic gets turned upside-down with tangy, caramelized cherry tomatoes!
- Bread, in chunks
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup of milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cherry Tomatoes
- In a bowl, mix together the bread chunks, grated Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and cup of milk.
- In a pot, combine the sugar and Balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil until it has reduced (it should be a little thicker).
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and place them in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Cover the tomatoes with the reduced vinegar and a layer of Prosciutto.
- Cover everything in a layer of the bread mixture, and cook at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip upside-down... and enjoy!