Tofu with Mushroom in Sesame Sauce
- 3-4 oz extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons black beans
- 1/2 a red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, then cut each half into thick slices about 8 cm. Brush each slice with soy sauce on both sides and place on a plate. Bake until they are browned, about 15 minutes, then turn the slices and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Rehydrate the shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 15 min.
Spray a wok or large nonstick skillet with a little sesame oil and place over medium-high heat. Add garlic, black beans and red pepper and cook 1 minute. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for one minute. Stir in mushrooms and their soaking liquid, and add the tofu and soy sauce. Simmer for about 10 minutes to allow tofu to absorb the flavors. Then add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Add green onion and sesame oil and serve immediately with rice. Makes 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Diver Selected Scallops 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Authentic Taiwanese Fried Rice 3.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Noodle with Cabbage Salad- Khaub... 3.2/5 (48 Votes)
- Lentil Curryy 2 3.2/5 (352 Votes)
- Stir fried swordfish and peppers... 3.7/5 (41 Votes)
- Tofu and Chard Stuffed Pasta 3.1/5 (232 Votes)
- Marinated Seared Tuna 3/5 (276 Votes)
- Monkfish in bittersweet sauce 2.8/5 (6 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Dive into summer with this fresh, light and healthy mango salad!
- 2 limes
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce
- Red onion, minced
- Lightly sautée the peanuts until golden.
- Take the carrots and cut into thin slices.
- Peel the mango and slice into thin strips.
- Squeeze the juice from 2 limes into a bowl, and add olive oil, soy sauce, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, toss together the mango, carrot, rocket, and lime-soy dressing.