"Skinny" Italian Pasta Salad
Here is a lighter version of the traditional italian pasta salad..perfect for outdoor cookouts
- 1 pound whole wheat short pasta, such as fusili, bowtie or penne
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pearl-sized fresh mozzarella, drained
- 1/4 pound salami, ( I use turkey salami) sliced about as wide as the pasta you are using
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, julienned
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (use the lower amount if you prefer a more tart dressing)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Boil the pasta in salted water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente.
Meanwhile, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper flakes in the bottom of a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, mozzarella, salami, onion and basil on top of the dressing.
When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the large bowl. Toss to combine. Serve warm, at room temperature or cool. enjoy!
You'll also love
- Fig salad with orange 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Sausage and Kale pasta 4.1/5 (18 Votes)
- Good Ole Mac & Cheese 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Thai Mango Salad 4/5 (23 Votes)
- NO FUSS RISOTTO 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Basic Spaghetti Sauce 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Delicious Summer Pasta Salad with... 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Antipasto Pasta Salad 3.5/5 (13 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Do you put the pasta in without waiting for the water to boil? Add oil? Forget the salt?