Pan-fried Zucchini Cake
Family recipe. Good side dish to go with any meat, also works well as breakfast with sauce.
- 1 medium size zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of flour
- salt 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder 1/2 tsp
- onion powder 1/2 tsp
- mayonnaise 1 tbsp
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Shred one medium zucchini, skin on. Note: DO NOT MAKE IT TOO FINE.
Add salt to shredded zucchini, mixed well with your hands, and let it sit for ~5 min. There will be liquid coming out.
Mixed the egg with the zucchini, add the flour, garlic powder, and onion powder, mix well to form a batter. It should be a little more solid than the pancake batter.
Heat up a cast-iron frying pan on medium heat, spray with oil, and pour the batter in. You may need a spoon or spatula to help get the batter out and make it even in the pan.
Cook ~10 min or until the edges turn solid. Flip the zucchini cake and cook the other side for ~5 min until both side are golden brown.
Cool down for ~5 min. Top with mayonnaise or any other sauce you like
Stove temperature varies home by home. Adjust cooking time with the stove powder in your home
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!