Caramel nut slices
These are crispy refrigerator cookies that my Mom loved to make when I was little. We make them at Christmas time.
- 2 sticks of butter or margarine
- 1 box dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 and a 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 to 2 cups finely chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Level of difficulty Average
Cooking time 8mins
Cost Average budget
Mix margarine, sugar and eggs well. Sift dry ingredients and add to margarine mixture. Stir in nuts and vanilla.
Shape into rolls and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours but overnight is better. when thoroughly chilled, slice 1/8" thick and bake on ungreased teflon or nonstick cookie sheet. Cookies spread, so do not place too close together.
This recipe makes 4 rolls, which may be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks before baking or may also be frozen.
Be very careful of the timing as these thin cookies burn easily. Check the first cookie sheet often, and time exactly how long your oven takes to bake the cookies to perfection and repeat!
You'll also love
- Refrigerator Rolls 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- Pineapple Sweetdish 3.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Southwestern Spiced Guacamole 2.9/5 (21 Votes)
- Or-eo We Can Have Truffles! 2.9/5 (11 Votes)
- gram cracker bites 2.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Cherry Cheese Crunch Cake 2.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Forgotten cookies 2.9/5 (19 Votes)
- Fudgy No-Bakes 2.9/5 (10 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.