B&E's Mexican Rice
This rice is awesome! The B&E stands for family friends Bertha & Erny, who took the time to teach me how to make this rice!
- 2 cup rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 2 pkgs Sazon seasoning *
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Melt the butter over a low to med heat, in a large skillet that has a tight fitting lid. Add the rice and proceed to stir the rice in with the butter. Continue to stir the rice, keep the rice moving. This step is very important to the flavor of the dish. You can't hurry this step by putting the heat too high. You just have to watch the rice, stirring it until it loses that white color and gets a pale golden color to it.
Once the rice has the pale golden color, you will open the Sazon* and add it to the pan, stirring the rice a bit.
After the Sazon* has been added, add the chicken stock and stir. As soon as the rice comes up to a boil, turn rice down to low and put lid on. Continue cooking rice per package instructions which usually takes about 20 minutes or so. All the liquid must be absorbed. What I usually do is let the rice cook for around 15-18 minutes then take it off the heat and let it sit for another 5 minutes, after which I will take the lid off and stir once.
This is more of a cooking technique and in a pinch I have used instant rice. If you use instant rice, you use half the liquid and cooking time is usually around 5 minutes on the heat and 5 minutes of sitting off the heat with the lid on.
*Sazon is a spice packet that is found in the Mexican food aisle. Make sure you get the box that does not have the picture of the fish on it. It makes a difference in taste. You cannot leave this out.
You'll also love
- Braised Endive 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Vegetarian Taco Salad 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Chicken Enchilada Soup 4.8/5 (20 Votes)
- Rice Crispy Treats 4.2/5 (31 Votes)
- Eggplant with garlic 3.5/5 (147 Votes)
- Sauerkraut Pork Chops 3.8/5 (37 Votes)
- Paprika and Garlic Coated Chicken... 4.1/5 (15 Votes)
- BBQ Meatloaf 4/5 (19 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.