Vegetable Barley Soup Recipe
Our family LOVES soup, and when its cold nothing feels better than a bowl of hot soup. We saw this recipe on America's test kitchen and had to try it. We adapted it for our family and the food allergies we have. Everyone agreed this soup was delicious and hearty. Enjoy!
- 3 tbsp parsley
- 4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots
- peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cups celery ribs
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
1. Using kitchen twine, tie together parsley sprigs, thyme, and bay leaf. Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and celery is softened, about 10 minutes.
Add water, broth, barley, herb bundle, and garlic; increase heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes. Add potatoes, turnip, and cabbage; return to simmer and cook until barley, potatoes, turnip, and cabbage are tender, 18 to 20 minutes
Remove pot from heat and remove herb bundle. Stir in peas, lemon juice, and chopped parsley; season with salt and pepper to taste.