- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- For the Topping:
- 9 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 13x9 inch pan.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Heat the butter and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts. Stir in the vanilla.
4. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the eggs and sugar until pale and thick, about 6 minutes.
5. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture and milk mixture alternately until just incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
7. Let cool slightly in the pan, about 10 minutes.
8. Heat the broiler.
For the Topping:
1. Combine the butter, brown sugar, evaporated milk, and coconut in a medium bowl. Spread the topping evenly over cake. Broil until topping bubbles and just begins to brown, 3-4 minutes. Serve warm.
The cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 4 days. Reheat individual servings in the microwave.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!