Christmas Treat: Cherry Snowballs
This yummy dessert has been a family favorite at Christmas time for 50 years: Maraschino cherries dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut!
Maraschino cherries dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut!
- - 24 Maraschino Cherries
- - 1 box semi-sweet baking chocolate
- - 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- - 1 bag unsweetened coconut
- * Note that you can substitute cherries for ju-jubes (we use red and green at Christmas). They end up tasting like the chocolate covered jellies in Bridge Mixture ~ Very yummy!
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Average budget
Put a double boiler on med-high heat and melt chocolate *. Stir frequently.
While chocolate is melting, prepare cherries and coconut.
Drain cherries well, and then place them on a few paper towels to absorb any excess liquid.
Spread coconut out on a tray or large plate.
When chocolate is totally melted, remove from heat and stir in the milk. Mixture will thicken.
Carefully take the bowl of chocolate mixture (it will be hot!) off the pot. Using a small oyster fork, toothpick or skewer, dip the cherries in the chocolate, and then drop them onto the plate of coconut. Roll/coat them well **.
To firm them up for storage, it's easiest to put them on a sheet of wax paper and into the freezer for 20 mins or so. Then you can freeze them without worrying they will stick together.
* If you don't have a double boiler, you can create your own. Simply find non-plastic bowl that will fit snugly on the top of a small/medium sauce pan. Put a few inches of water in the pot and the bowl on top. The idea is that the steam from the boiling water will melt your chocolate without the danger of burning it.
** The easiest way I've found to do this messy job is to plop the cherries on the coconut and then drop some of the coconut onto the top of the cherry... this way you can start rolling without putting your fingers right onto the chocolate.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.