Triple Orange Poke Cake
- 1 box orange flavored cake mix
- 1 (4-ounce) package of orange flavored gelatin
- For the Orange Buttercream:
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange paste food coloring
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
1. Prepare cake mix according to directions the box. Bake cake in two round cake pans. Allow to cool in pan on wire racks. Do not remove the cakes from the pans.
2. Use a wooden skewer to poke holes in each cake round, about 1-inch apart.
3. Prepare gelatin as directed on box with water. Pour half of the liquid gelatin mixture over one of the cake layers, pouring it all over to cover the holes.
4. Repeat with the other half of the gelatin mixture and other cake layer.
5. Refrigerate cakes for at least 2 hours.
6. Prepare the buttercream by beating the cream cheese and butter together in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in orange extract. Reduce speed to low and add in one cup of powdered sugar at a time, beating until incorporated.
7. Add the food coloring and beat on medium until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
8. Place one cake layer onto a cake plate and spread 1/4 of the butter cream on top to about 1/2-inch from the edge.
9. Place second cake layer on top and press down gently. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Keep cake refrigerated until serving.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!