Dairy Free Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Tbsp Dairy Free Margarine or Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 3 cups Milk (Use Rice milk to keep dairy free)
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cups Elbow or Shell pasta noodles
- Salt and pepper
- to taste
- 16 oz bag of frozen peas
- taco etc.
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cost Average budget
In large skillet, brown ground beef with chopped onion and crushed garlic cloves. Season with pepper. Once fully cooked, drain and rinse ground beef. Do not return beef to the skillet, yet.
In the same skillet, add margarine or butter. Once melted, whisk in flour to form a paste. Quickly whisk in milk until no clumps remain. Cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, until sauce starts to bubble and thicken. Once sauce starts to thicken, add 1 cup of water and 2 cups of pasta shells. Stir.
Add 1 lb. of meat and mix together. Cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes, or until pasta shells have cooked through. Stir often. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. Sauce will thicken slightly after removing from heat.
If using peas or other forms of seasoning now is when you would mix those in.
You'll also love
- Blueberry Coffee Breakfast Smoothie 5/5 (7 Votes)
- Baked Chiken Quesadillias 3.4/5 (158 Votes)
- Jack's Favourite Banana Pancakes 4.1/5 (28 Votes)
- Grandma's Homemade Noodles 1.8/5 (44 Votes)
- beef stroganoff 2.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Cabbage Roll Stuffing 2.1/5 (58 Votes)
- Meat Pie Mixture 2.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Mushroom Spaghetti 2.1/5 (54 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.