Country Style Apple Pie
By Mary Ellen
An unbelievable flakey crust that will melt in your mouth, filled with loads of apples in a perfect blend of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. This pie can also be made gluten free and has a lower sugar option.
This country style apple pie is a classic recipe you don't want to miss.
- 10 cups peeled cored and sliced cooking apples. I use Gravensteins.
- 1 cup sugar (for a lower sugar option substitute with half or all Splenda)
- 3-4 Tbsp all-purpose flour (or gluten free)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- shake of nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp butter (or non dairy type)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour or gluten free.
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (I used Spectrum All Vegetable Shortening)
- 7-8 Tbsp cold water
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
In a large microwave safe mixing bowl add:
10 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples.
In a small mixing bowl add:
Sugar, 3-4 Tbsp flour, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Mix well.
Add sugar mixture to apples and mix well by gently tossing until all apples are covered with mixture.
Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Gently mix well.
Microwave on high for another 3-4 minutes. Gently mix and set aside.
In a large bowl add:
Flour and salt, mix well. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas.
Sprinkle in 1 Tbsp of water at a time gently tossing to mix with a fork until mixture is moistened enough to stick together and form a large ball.
On a floured surface, preferably on a pastry cloth, roll out one half of dough into a circle a little larger than the pie plate. Rolling in quick movements from the center out is the best method and prevents tears in the dough. When dough is placed in the pie plate the bottom crust will need to hang over the edges of the dish. This prevents the fruit juices from leaking under the crust.
Pour in apple mixture and top with pieces of butter.
Roll out second half of pie crust the same way. May need to add more flour to the surface before rolling out. This half should also be slightly larger than the pie plate. Place over apples.
Trim edges of crust evenly leaving enough dough to flute, which is basically the edging around the pie.
To flute edges squeeze bottom and top crust together, fold over and push between index fingers and thumbs to form a pinched like edge. This takes practice and it doesn't need to be perfect. There are many ways to flute the edges. Gently cut slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape while baking. Juices from the fruit might bubble out too, like in my top photo.
At this point I like to cover the edges of my pie with foil for the first half of the cooking time to prevent them from becoming overdone. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35 minutes with the foil. Remove foil and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes.
Pie should be a nice golden brown and the filling bubbling. Let pie sit before serving, about 90 minutes if possible. By letting the pie sit, the pie filling has a chance to set up just a bit. Serve with some ice cream and enjoy your pie!
Using a pie drip catcher or oven guard really helps keep your oven clean when baking pies. I highly recommend one.
You'll also love
- Willie's brownies 5/5 (1452 Votes)
- Spiced Apple and Marscapone Ravioli 4.4/5 (955 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge 4.2/5 (409 Votes)
- Cider-Mill Stuffed Apples 4.4/5 (354 Votes)
- Mini Apple Pies 4.2/5 (306 Votes)
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets 4.9/5 (229 Votes)
- White Chocolate Raffaello Cake 4.6/5 (230 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Authentic Puerto Rican Domplines 4.3/5 (206 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French tarte tatin is golden, caramelized apple perfection!
- 1 puff pastry
- 6 apples, sliced
- 3 oz. chilled butter, chopped into chunks
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Roll out a puff pastry.
- Lay out the apple slices in a pan.
- Add chunks of butter on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes in oven at 350°F, to caramelize the apples.
- Place puff pastry on top of the caramelized apples.
- Cook for 15 minutes at 350°F.