Sweet Pie Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup ice water
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
in a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Add the shortening and work it through with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add the water, 1 Tbsp at a time and work it with your hands until you have a smooth ball of dough.
Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and place it on a lightly floured surface.
Roll the dough out on the floured surface into a circle about 14 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Gently fold the circles in half and then half again so that you can lift it without tearing it and unfold into a 9 inch pie pan.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!