10 culinary masterpieces you can make with canned peaches or apricots
Don't let canned peaches or apricots collect dust in your pantry. These 10 recipes prove you can turn these syrupy fruits into masterpieces!
Sweet and savory tagine
You can make excellent use of canned fruits for savory-sweet dishes. Try this easy chicken tagine recipe for a quick and delicious dinner option.
Drain the fruits and reserve the syrup. In a Dutch Oven, cook pieces of chicken in a little bit of oil until they start to brown. Moisten with the fruit syrup and 1 1/4 cups water. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat. If the sauce is thin, add 1 or 2 teaspoons of cornstarch to thicken it up a bit. Add the peaches or apricots, and simmer for a few minutes more.
Serve immediately with hot couscous.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These Spanish empanadas are little hot pockets of delicious!
- 2.25 Cups of flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 Tsp. of lard
- 1/5 Cup of warm water
- 5 Tsp. of olive oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 Tsp. of chili powder
- 1 Tsp. of cumin
- 2 Garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine the flour, beaten egg, lard, warm water, and olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- In a hot pan, pour a little olive oil and sautée the onions, until tender. Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook until beef is no longer pink, and the flavors have incorporated well.
- Roll out the empanada dough, and cut out circles with a ramekin.
- Cover a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper, and place the dough circles on top.
- Fill with meat mixture, fold in half and press with the edge of a fork. Brush with egg yolk to glaze.
- Cook at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven... and enjoy!