Buttermilk Chocolate Scones
These scones had a light, fluffy texture and we wonderful both straight from the oven and also re-heated the next day.
- 3/4 Cup buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup stevia
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups flour (plain
- or half plain
- half wholemeal)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- cubed and chilled
- 3/4 Cup chocolate chips
- Skim milk
- for glazing
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the buttermilk, stevia, and egg in a bowl, whisking gently.
Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and butter to a food processor and blend to incorporate the butter. Tip into a large bowl, stir in the chocolate chips, and add the buttermilk mixture. Gentle mix until just incorporated.
Turn out onto a floured surface and with floured hands gently knead a couple of times to ensure a well formed dough. Shaped into a circle, about 2 cm thick and transfer to a floured baking tray.
Brush the top with skim milk, cut into 8 even sized pieces and bake for 18 minutes, until risen and the top golden.
You'll also love
- CHEESE SCONES 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Dessert- Milk Tart Cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Mom Otteson's Fudge Nut Bars 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Evi's Egg Omelet 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Biscuits 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Miss Hilda's Chocolate Peanut... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Black Walnut Cake 3.1/5 (33 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!