Buttermilk Chocolate Scones
These scones had a light, fluffy texture and we wonderful both straight from the oven and also re-heated the next day.
- 3/4 Cup buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup stevia
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups flour (plain, or half plain, half wholemeal)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter, cubed and chilled
- 3/4 Cup chocolate chips
- Skim milk, for glazing
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Average budget
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Mix the buttermilk, stevia, and egg in a bowl, whisking gently.
Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and butter to a food processor and blend to incorporate the butter. Tip into a large bowl, stir in the chocolate chips, and add the buttermilk mixture. Gentle mix until just incorporated.
Turn out onto a floured surface and with floured hands gently knead a couple of times to ensure a well formed dough. Shaped into a circle, about 2 cm thick and transfer to a floured baking tray.
Brush the top with skim milk, cut into 8 even sized pieces and bake for 18 minutes, until risen and the top golden.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!