Spicy Beef & Spinach Lasagna
This is one of my family's all time favourite meals. Dad request me to make it for them all the time. I make a full pan for them, they have what they want and then freeze the rest.
- 1 Lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 16 Lasagna Noodles
- 3 Cups Ragu Spaghetti Sauce
- 3/4 Cups Mushrooms
- Finely Chopped
- 2 Cups Frozen Spinach
- Thawed and Squeezed
- 12 Oz Kraft Tex Mex Light Shredded Cheese
- 1 container of Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Small Onion
- Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 3 Tbsp Club House Italiano One Step Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Olive Oil Spray
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Cost Average budget
In a large pot bring water to a boil. Once the water is boiled add lasagna noodles spread out around the edges of the pot. Tap the top of the noodles very lightly, without breaking them, until they are all submerged in the water. Boil noodles till they are soft. About 10 minutes. While the water and noodles are boiling, prepare the other ingredients, being sure to stir the noodles to make sure they don't stick together or get too soft. Ready to use noodles are ok, but they have a tendency to dry out a lot on the sides if the noodles aren't completely covered in sauce.
While the water and noodles are boiling, add thawed, 1 lb of ground beef to a large pot and just enough water to cover the beef, boil beef gently, breaking apart, till beef is cooked and water has evaporated. Do not let it burn or brown too ark. To the pot of beef, add onions, mushrooms, italiano seasoning & garlic powder and mix thoroughly. Putting aside 1/4 cup of spaghetti sauce, and add 2 3/4 to the meat mixture and simmer. Squeeze excess water out of thawed spinach, pull apart and add to pot mixing it all together.
Once the noodles are cooked, drain them, put them in a bowl and add a little olive oil to the noodles and move them around gently to avoid breaking them and to keep them from sticking together while you are layering the noodles and mixture.
Divide mixture in to 4 equal parts. You can also do that with the cheese, 4 equal parts.
Spray a 9 x 12 baking pan or glass dish with olive oil spray. Add the 1/4 of spaghetti sauce that you put aside to the bottom of the pan and spread to cover the bottom. Add a layer of 4 noodles, with the edges overlapping. Spread over the noodles, 1/4 of the mixture, 1/4 of the shredded cheese, and sprinkle grated parmesan cheese to lightly cover. Repeat all the layers until finished. 4 layers total.
Cover the pan loosely with tin foil, making sure the foil isn't touching the top of the lasagna so the cheese don't stick to it. Put in a 375 - 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. When 45 minutes are up, take out and remove the foil and put back in the oven for 5 - 10 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving to let it set before cutting it and removing pieces from the pan. Cut into 12 squares. 1 square equals 1 serving.
This goes great with Caesar Salad or Greek Salad.
If there is any left over, it can be frozen in separate pieces or kept in the fridge for a couple of days.
If you freeze it, let it cool before you put it in the freezer so it doesn't steam up and make it mushy.
To reheat it, its best to thaw it before you warm it up again so it cooks evenly.
You'll also love
- Spicy Beef & Rice Lettuce Wrap 3.8/5 (38 Votes)
- MABO DON 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Rolls 3.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Salad - Chicken 2.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Nana's Pastry aka Batchelor's Pie... 2.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Savories- Corn Dogs 2.9/5 (18 Votes)
- Raspberry Pie 2.9/5 (56 Votes)
- Vegan Gumbo 2.8/5 (28 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.