Crockpot Cashew Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinles chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot flour (Asian market for tapioca flour, Whole Foods for arrowroot flour)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp lard, coconut oil, avocado oil, or ghee
- 2 green onions, chopped (white parts and green parts separated)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp paleo ketchup or organic tomato paste (http://infertilitythouartaheartlessbitch.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/paleo-ketchup/)
- 1 Tbsp palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, minced, or 1/4 tsp dried ginger
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos (or gluten free tamari…it is not “paleo” but better than going straight soy sauce)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup cashews
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a bag, combine the black pepper and flour. Add the chicken and jostle the bag to coat the meat. In a skillet, cook the chicken for a few minutes on medium-high heat.
In a bowl, combine all other ingredients (except for the green parts of the onion and cashews)
Put the chicken and sauce into a crockpot. Stir in the cashews.
Cook on low for 2-3 hours
Add the remaining green onion when serving.