Chocolate Crusted Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- Lemon Custard:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Combine flour, sugar, and cocoa powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course meal.
Stir in egg. Form dough using hands to gently pull it together. Press into 10 inch pie plate.
Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
In a double boiler, combine sugar, corn starch, and salt. Add milk gradually. Stir until evenly blended. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes until mixture thickens.
In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Pour in a little of hot custard into yolks stirring well. Return yolk mixture to custard.
Cook over boiling water for 5 minutes stirring. Remove from heat, add butter, lemon juice and rind. Cool slightly.
Beat egg whites until frothy. Add lemon juice. Beat into soft peaks. Beat in sugar gradually until stiff peaks form.
Pour custard into baked crust. Top with meringue.
Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Turn off oven and leave for 5 minutes until meringue is golden.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for something indulgent? These velvety chocolate beetroot cakes will hit the spot.
- 1.3 cups beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4/5 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Melted dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, oil and lemon juice in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar.
- Add the blended beetroot mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into silicone cake moulds.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until you a pick comes out clean.
- Top with melted dark chocolate, and enjoy!