Glutinous Rice with Chicken
- 1)8 oz (230 g) glutinous rice
- soaked in warm water for 2 hours.
- 2)5 oz (140 g) chicken thigh or breast meat
- cut into ½-inch (1.3 cm) cubes
- 3)2 oz (60 g) shelled fava beans
- from 8 oz (225 g) fresh fava beans in the pod
- 4)2 Chinese sausages
- quartered lengthwise and cut into ½-inch (1.3 cm) pieces.
- 5)1 glove garlic
- 6)1 scallion
- thinly sliced
- 7)2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 8)2 tablespoons water
- 9)1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10)¼ teaspoon salt
- 11)Freshly ground white pepper
- 12)Banana leaves cut into 4 pieces of 12 x 10 inch (30 x25 cm) rectangle
- For the marinade:
- 1)1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2)1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3)1/2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- 4)1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Steam the rice in a steamer lined with cheesecloth for 30-40 minutes, or until soft.
Transfer the rice to a large bowl and gently fluff with chopsticks or a fork. In a separate bowl, mix the soy sauce and water. Pour the mixture into the rice and mix well. Cover with a plastic wrap.
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the marinade and add the chicken. Marinate for 10 minutes.
Add the oil to a hot wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the fava beans and sausage, and continue to stir fry for another minute or two, until the chicken is just cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the parcels: divided the rice into 4 equal portions. Lay out a piece of banana leaf on a work surface. Place one portion of glutinous rice in the center of the leaf and form roughly into a 4 x 3 inch (10 x8 cm) rectangle. Spread a quarter of the chicken mixture over the rice. Sprinkle some scallion slices on top. Bring in the 4 sides of the leaf to form a rectangular parcel, and secure with kitchen twine.
Steam the parcels for about 30 minutes, or until they are very soft.
Serve immediately with your favorite tea. Drizzle a few drops of Sriracha to add a spicy kick if you like.