A simple south Indian recipe, which suits well for lunch boxes.
- Cooked Rice - 2 cups
- salt - as per taste
- To roast and powder:
- urad dal - 2 tea spoon
- red chili - 3 medium
- Sesame - 1/4 cup
- To temper:
- oil - 2 -3 teaspoons
- peanuts - 2 tea spoon (optional)
- mustard seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
- urad dal - 1/2 tea spoon
- cashew nut - 2 tea spoon (optional)
- perungayam / hing - a pinch
- curry leaves - 1 sprig
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Prepare steamed rice and keep it aside (Fluffy rice)
dry roast urad dal+ red chillies, sesame seperatly and let it cool down
Powder the roasted ingrdients. First grind urad dal and red chillies, when they are 75% done then add the sesame seeds and powder it coarsely.
In a pan, heat 2 tea spoons of oil and add the peanuts and roast for 2 to three minutes
Then add the items listed to temper one by one
If you tempered using a small tadka pad, transfer the tempered mix to another mixing bowl, add rice, salt, and powdered mix and mix gently by adding a spoon of oil.
1. If you use sesame oil, that gives some extra flavor.
2. I prefer adding the rice and mix little by little and mix
3. I have used 3 chilies for mild hot rice, if you like spicy one, add two or three more chilies to it.
4.adding peanuts and cashew nuts are optional. but recommended.
5. you can add channa dal also along with peanuts, while tempering
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!