low carb, delicious, easy!
- 4 medium zucchini sliced 1/8 inch with a mandolin
- 1 can primo hot and spicy tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs roast red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 container light ricotta cheese
- 1/2 package of frozen spinach
- defrosted and drained
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Put pepper, mushroom, onion, sauce, garlic and roast red peppers into a pot and bring to a simmer on medium until vegetables are cooked.
In a medium sized mixing bowl mix ricotta cheese, spinach, 1 cup of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese until combined.
In a 9x13 pan spread some of the sauce mixture and layer the zucchini side by side until the bottom is covered.
Place some of the cheese mixture on top and spread around, top with sauce and spread.
Repeat layers starting with zucchini until ingredients are gone.
Top with remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella, cover with aluminum foil.
Cook for 40 minutes at 400 degrees, removing foil after 30 minutes.
Make sure that the zucchini isn't sliced too thin or the layers may fall apart.
You'll also love
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloni 2.9/5 (297 Votes)
- Chicken Corn Noodle Soup 4/5 (14 Votes)
- Stromboli 4/5 (18 Votes)
- Basil & Olive Oil Rice 4/5 (16 Votes)
- Mac and Cheddar Cheese with... 4/5 (16 Votes)
- Meatballs 4.1/5 (29 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ WHITE BEAN WRAPS 4/5 (15 Votes)
- Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce 4/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!