Old family recipe - comfort food for sure!
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Lukewarm Water
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 - 3 cups Flour
- 4 - 5 Yellow Potatoes
- Butter/Oil for Frying
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Peel potatoes and cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes. Boil in dutch oven or large pot in lots of salted water with room to add glace.
In large bowl, stir eggs and water together with salt, using a fork. Start adding flour and mix with a wooden spoon, until the dough is not shiny and can be scooped up. It will be hard to stir.
When potatoes are almost tender, drop dough by tablespoonfuls into pot, like dumplings. When they rise to the top, test for doneness - should not be doughy in the center. Strain glace and potatoes and dump into a large frying pan in the melted butter and oil and fry to desired doneness. We like a bit of crispness on them. Chopped onion can be fried in the butter along with the mixture for more flavour.
Sometimes we do two pans, one with onions and one with a scrambled egg cooked in.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Combine summer zucchini with leftover mashed potatoes for a delicious, savory treat!
- 5 Potatoes
- 1.5 Cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 Cup shredded cheese
- 3/ Cup milk
- 1/3 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1/3 Cup basil, chopped
- Parmesan, to sprinkle
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Chop the potatoes in half, boil until very tender and drain.
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and zucchini. Add the grated cheese, milk, coriander, basil, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- On a baking tray, spoon out the zucchini-potato mixture and form into balls.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and grated cheese, and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- When golden, remove from oven... and enjoy!