Authentic Hungarian Moon Cookies (cakes)
Just like from the old country with that cake-like texture. I remember my mother cutting these cookies out with a drinking glass AFTER baking. Except I remember them being called "Moon Cakes" (probably because of the texture). There is a rolled "Moon Cake" made with ground sesame seeds.
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 T. butter
- 6 eggs separated (stiffly beat the whites)
- 1 c. sifted flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- juice and rind zest of 1 lemon
- 1 c. finely ground walnuts
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg yolks and mix well. Add the flour, baking powder, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well. Add the stiffly beaten egg whites, folding in gently.
Pour batter into a greased and floured large rectangular pan with shallow sides. Sprinkle the entire top with the ground nuts. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned at 350 degrees.
Cut with the open end of a drinking glass then keep cutting into crescent shapes until entire pan is done.
You'll also love
- Copycat King’s Hawaiian Rolls 3.1/5 (27 Votes)
- Cranberry Orange Muffins 3.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Black Walnut Cake 3.1/5 (38 Votes)
- Angel Food Cake 3.1/5 (23 Votes)
- Halusky/Haluski 3.1/5 (23 Votes)
- Melt In Your Mouth Peanut Butter... 3.3/5 (209 Votes)
- Kouglof 3.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Authentic Japanese Potstickers 2.6/5 (11 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are easy to make and super delicious!
- 1/4 cup / 50g of softened butter
- 1 egg (divide the yolk and white)
- 1/4 cup / 50g of sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup / 150g of flour
- 1 cup / 100g of chopped nuts
- Salted caramel
- Melted dark chocolate
In a bowl, mix together the butter, egg yolk, sugar, and salt.
Add the flour and mix. Roll into a ball.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide the dough and roll into 1-inch balls.
Dip each ball in egg yolk, and then roll in chopped nuts.
Place on baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), and press your thumb into the center.
Bake at 340°F/170°C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Pour the salted caramel into the center groove,and drizzle with dark chocolate.