American Sugar Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
In a big bowl cream butter and sugar together, add egg and vanilla, mix together until blended well.
In a separate bowl whisk together dry materials; flour, baking powder, and salt. Then stir the dry mixture into the butter or wet mixture.
Refrigerate for 1 hour, then wait till it is soft enough to handle.
Put dough into cookie shapes, and bake for 10 minutes till the cookies are golden brown.
Leave out for 5 minutes to cool and its up to whether you would like to ice them or not.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!