French Onion Soup
Know who doesn't like this kind of soup? Its a classic favorite. Goes good with a glass of wine.
- 3 Tbs Butter
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 8 c Onions, sliced
- 1 Tbs Sugar
- 2 Tbs Flour
- 6-8 c Broth (Beef or Veg)
- 1/3 c sherry or wine
- 1 Tbs dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Salt & Pepper
- 1 French or Italian bread, Cut up into 2 inch pieces
- Swiss, Mozzarella Cheese, Jarlsberg or Gruyere cheese, shredded or slices
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a large Pot melt butter, oil. Add in Cut up Onions, sugar, salt, and flour. Mix together, cover for 15 minutes.
Put in broth, sherry, and thyme, salt & pepper. Cover and simmer on medium to low heat for 15 minutes more.
Take bread slices and broil them to brown the tops. Place soup into oven proof bowls and place bowls on top of a cookie sheet. Place bread onto of soup, then sprinkle some cheese or place the cheese slice over the bread. Broil till cheese is brown and bubbly.
Using different types of cheeses makes the difference in the taste so experiment.
You'll also love
- Tuna Melt 2.8/5 (14 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Rabbit with Tomatoes 2.8/5 (14 Votes)
- Uncle Greg's chicken 2.8/5 (14 Votes)
- Little Smoothered Hot Dogs 2.8/5 (14 Votes)
- Sweet Onion Relish 2.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Old Timey Scotch Eggs 2.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Deluxe KD 2.8/5 (9 Votes)
- California Blend Vegetables 2.8/5 (12 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French classic gets turned upside-down with tangy, caramelized cherry tomatoes!
- Bread, in chunks
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup of milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cherry Tomatoes
- In a bowl, mix together the bread chunks, grated Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and cup of milk.
- In a pot, combine the sugar and Balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil until it has reduced (it should be a little thicker).
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and place them in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Cover the tomatoes with the reduced vinegar and a layer of Prosciutto.
- Cover everything in a layer of the bread mixture, and cook at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip upside-down... and enjoy!
Review this recipe