French Onion Soup
- 3 tbs. butter
- 3 lbs. onions (thinly sliced)
- pepper (to taste)
- 5 cups beef broth (College Inn)
- block mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbs. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 slices French or Italian bread
- 4 tbs. grated cheese
- Worcestershire sauce (add while simmering) - optional
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Cost Average budget
Melt butter. Add onions and cook slowly stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle on flour and stir in. Add salt & pepper, then add broth. Let boil, then simmer for about 1/2 hour.
When ready to eat, toast bread and put a single slice in four bowls. Sprinkle each piece with 1 tbs. grated cheese. pour in soup and add mozzarella cheese to bowls (1-2 slices). Brown under broiler to darken cheese. ENJOY!!
You'll also love
- Vegetable Burgers 2.9/5 (22 Votes)
- Weekend Potato Salad 2.9/5 (45 Votes)
- Spinach Artichoke Dip 2.9/5 (12 Votes)
- Ratatouille 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Peach and Nectarine Compote 3.5/5 (40 Votes)
- Broccoli, Cheese and Potato Soup 2.9/5 (11 Votes)
- CANNED CORNBEEF AND ONIONS 3.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Melted Vegetables 3.1/5 (11 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French classic gets turned upside-down with tangy, caramelized cherry tomatoes!
- Bread, in chunks
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup of milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cherry Tomatoes
- In a bowl, mix together the bread chunks, grated Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and cup of milk.
- In a pot, combine the sugar and Balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil until it has reduced (it should be a little thicker).
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and place them in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Cover the tomatoes with the reduced vinegar and a layer of Prosciutto.
- Cover everything in a layer of the bread mixture, and cook at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip upside-down... and enjoy!